Tool Type Form
Format PDF

How to Use

Faculty or senior research staff members must get use/purchasing approval before buying Schedule II-V controlled substances for research under SU’s Institutional Registration.

For use/purchasing approval, submit the following forms to us: 

1. SU Controlled Substance Purchase Request Application (Form 1a) -­ Lists the controlled substances requested and names of authorized researchers, and provides proof of legitimate research use via approval from one of the following:

  • Administrative Panel for Laboratory Animal Care (APLAC) for animal research
  • Institutional Review Board (IRB) for human subjects related research
  • The applicant’s department chairperson (if the applicant is the department chairperson or higher, the applicant’s supervisor must get approval)

Note: This process does not cover the Research Advisory Panel of California (RAPC) authorization requirements. Faculty and senior research staff must independently seek authorization from the RAPC if their research projects involve:

  • Any Schedule I controlled substance
  • Human research using any Schedule I or Schedule II controlled substance
  • Research for the treatment of drug abuse using any drug, scheduled or not. These applications are available online.

For Schedule II requests, submit a separate Form 1a because Schedule II Controlled Substances and Schedule III-V must be kept separate.

2. SU Controlled Substance Authorized Researcher Application (Form 2)

After approval of Form 1a and Form 2, we work with the authorized researchers to ensure laboratory security, storage, training, and record-keeping requirements are met.