The EH&S Environmental Protection Program should be kept appraised of move schedules and locations to ensure quick emergency response should a spill or other problem arise.
- Provide emergency contact numbers and emergency procedures to vendors responsible for transporting hazardous materials.
- Preplan the move route to minimize use of congested, restricted or sensitive areas and aid the vendor in identifying their location when communicating with emergency response personnel.
- Know where emergency notification and response devices are, including fire alarms, safety showers, eyewash stations, etc.
- Do not move hazardous materials during off-hours to ensure emergency response personnel are available if needed.
- Use freight elevators rather than passenger elevators whenever possible.