Welcome to Stanford! Establishing a new laboratory can be an exciting and busy time. Your “to-do” list will include a number of health and safety tasks that must be completed before laboratory work can begin. EH&S staff will meet with you to go over your responsibilities and requirements as a PI at Stanford, provide you with resources to implement many of these tasks, and answer any questions that arise.
Prior to Arrival
- Work with local departmental and school contacts for facilities needs (e.g., space, electrical, ventilation, seismic restraint).
- Submit research protocols (if applicable).
When you Arrive
- Schedule a meeting with EH&S to help navigate safety at Stanford.
- Complete your own safety training in STARS, the system used at Stanford to provide and document online training. STARS can be found in Axess.
- Set up the following laboratory management programs:
- Determine training needs for staff/researchers using the Training Needs Assessment Tool.
- Develop the lab-specific training that new members of your lab will receive.
- Complete the Laboratory PPE Assessment Tool based on your anticipated laboratory procedures.
- Purchase PPE based on the results of the Laboratory PPE Assessment Tool (talk to your department safety contact about obtaining lab coats and prescription inserts for safety glasses).
- Appoint a Lab Safety Coordinator (a member of your laboratory who may take on some routine safety duties) and select safety tasks to delegate.
- Write/review standard operating procedures (SOPs) for repeat and high-hazard operations.
- Designate chemical storage areas.
- Designate locations for chemical waste in your lab.
- Purchase secondary containers for all hazardous materials and waste.
- Request hazardous waste containers from EH&S.
- Set up your lab continuity plan.
- Set up biological/medical waste pickup.
- Apply for a Controlled Radiation Authorization from EH&S.
- Start medical surveillance.
- Receive required vaccinations.
- File Material Transfer Agreements.
- Enroll in the Controlled Substances program.
- File for a Controlled Laser Authorization.
- File for a Controlled Machine Authorization.